How to Use Fortmapper
- To explore forts in a given area, the best way is to use the map above to zoom into the area.
- If you’re looking for a specific fort by name, then the best way is to search the spreadsheet available here.
The full database of forts is available here. Count is at little over 1100.
Contributors without whose help many forts would have remained unmapped. They have also been instrumental in providing crucial on-ground knowledge and clarifications and correcting my mis-identifications. Thank you everyone.
- Siddeshwar Prasad
- Sandeep Paranjape
- Visitor nbdasa
- Visitor Crazy Ranga
- Rakesh Tripathi
- Hemanth Kumar
How to Contribute
There is a lot of work to be done. Here are a few suggestions.
- Send in a fort location with Lat/Long co-ordinates. I will add it to the database and your name to the Credits section later. For more info, please see the page, How to Locate Forts in India.
- The database has many forts that are labeled as “Unknown”. I have not been able to determine the name using Google Maps and other sources. I could use your help in putting a name to the forts.
- Additional meta-data for the database. For eg, at some point I’d like to organize the database by fortifications by State or the condition it is. This requires going through the database, one row at a time to classify and label the rows.
- If you have other ideas, I request you to please leave a comment and email address or email me directly at:
There was a point a few years back when I was producing individual posts for a particular region. I have stopped doing that for now because of the additional time each post takes. At the moment, my focus is on expanding the database. Those posts are still available here.
5 thoughts on “Forts in India”
You can add forts – Ramagiri (Ramadevara betta, near Ramanagar), Achaludurga near Ramanagar, Shivagiri (Ramanagar), Talavadi fort (Ramanagar), Kotagal fort (Ramanagar)
Nagapuram/Nagamalai (Krishnagiri), Ratnagiri (Hosur), all these are mapped in Google maps.
Thank you. I will add these into the database shortly.
Hi, I have been making list of all forts in Nashik District Of Maharashtra. Fortunately found your work. It is very commendable. It took me 2 days and I have collected information for 5 taluka’s only, so I know the hardwork you must have done. Your work will be a great help. Truly appreciate it. Many Thanks.
Please do share your list. I will add it here and credit you for it. Thank you.
Great work!!! Thanks a lot!!!